Day 124: Recycled Bottle Boats
Day 124 of #365 Creative #Ideas to do with your kids: Have you made boats before? These recycled boats are a great project to do with your boys and girls! Collect and recycle plastic bottles and corks to make these little floating boats.
You will need: plastic bottles, from shampoo bottles to water bottles needle and thread wooden skewers
How to make bottle boats:
1. You can use a shampoo or body cream bottle; a flattish one is best.
2. Cut a cork in half vertically using a craft knife or NT cutter. Secure the cork to one of the flat sides of the bottle with an elastic band.
3. Cut a large triangular sail out of a piece of fabric or paper. If using fabric, sew seams so that a skewer can be inserted to hold the mast in place. If using paper, glue the skewer onto the paper. Insert the skewer mast into the cork and sail away.Tips:
• Use a craft knife to cut the corks.
• Use paper that is a different colour on each side for the sails.
• Use a punch to make the holes.
• To make a ‘makeyour- own boat set’, simply package all the materials from one of these projects into a container of your choice (not the tools) and sell each set as one product.
From my book Kids’ Market Days (Struik Publishers 2014), email me on firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to purchase a book.